PDA

View Full Version : Dating and Relationships in the Digital Age

ggalagardea
08-15-2021, 08:04 PM
Amid growing debates about the impact of smartphones and social media on romantic relationships, a Pew Research Center survey conducted in October 2019 finds that many Americans encounter some tech-related struggles with their significant others.

Chart shows about half of Americans in romantic relationships say they deal with their partner being distracted by their phone
For instance, among partnered adults in the U.S. – that is, those who are married, cohabiting or in a committed relationship, roughly half (51%) say their partner is often or sometimes distracted by their cellphone while they are trying to have a conversation with them, and four-in-ten say they are at least sometimes bothered by the amount of time their partner spends on their mobile device.

Partnered adults under the age of 50 are particularly likely to express the feeling that their partner is distracted by their phone, with those ages 30 to 49 most likely to report this. Fully 62% of 30- to 49-year-olds and 52% of 18-to 29-year-olds who are in a romantic relationship say their partner is at least sometimes distracted by their phone when they’re trying to talk them. Still, this issue is not confined to younger age groups: 41% of partnered Americans ages 50 and older say they have encountered this in their relationship at least sometimes.

With phones being such a distraction, people might be tempted to look through their partner’s phone. However, there is widespread agreement among the public that digital snooping in couples is unacceptable. Seven-in-ten Americans – regardless of whether they are in a relationship – say it is rarely or never acceptable for someone to look through their partner’s cellphone without that person’s knowledge. Still, 34% of partnered adults say they have looked through their partner’s cellphone without that person’s knowledge, with women being more likely than men to say they have done this (42% vs. 25%).

Chart shows younger social media users are especially likely to check up on their exes, talk about their love life on these sites
For many adults, social media plays a role in the way they navigate and share information about their romantic relationships. Roughly eight-in-ten social media users (81%) report that they at least sometimes see others posting about their relationships, including 46% who say this happens often, but few say that seeing these posts affects how they feel about their own love life.

Moreover, social media has become a place where some users discuss relationships and investigate old ones. Roughly half of social media users (53%) say they have used these platforms to check up on someone they used to date or be in a relationship with, while 28% say they have used social media to share or discuss things about their relationship or dating life. For adult users under the age of 30, those shares who have used social media to checked-up on a former partner (70%) or posted about their own love life (48%) are even higher.

But social media can also be a source of annoyance and conflict for some couples. Among those whose partner uses social media, 23% say they have felt jealous or unsure of their relationship because of the way their current partner interacts with others on these sites, and this share rises to 34% among those ages 18 to 29.

Still, some users view these platforms as an important venue for showing love and affection. This is especially true for younger users who are partnered: 48% of 18- to 29-year-old social media users say social media is very or somewhat important for them in showing how much they care about their partner.

These are some of the main findings from a nationally representative survey of 4,860 U.S. adults conducted online Oct. 16 to 28, 2019, using Pew Research Center’s American Trend Panel.

Terminology
Several terms are used in this report to describe people’s current relationship status. This reference guide explains each term.
Single is used to describe people who are not currently in a committed relationship but may be casually dating (31% of the sample).
Single and looking refers to people who are not in a committed relationship (but may be casually dating) and are looking for dates or a relationship (15% of the sample).
Casually dating refers to single people who are casually dating someone but are not in a committed relationship (4% of the sample).
Partnered refers to adults who are married, cohabiting or in a committed relationship (69% of the sample).
Cohabiting is used to describe people who currently live with their partner but are not married (11% of the sample).
Committed relationship is used to describe people who are in a relationship but are not married or cohabiting (8% of the sample).
Unmarried is used to refer to any adults who are not currently married – single, cohabiting or in a committed relationship (50% of the sample). This term is sometimes used in conjunction with the term “partnered” to refer to those who are cohabiting or in a committed relationship (for example, unmarried partnered adults constitute 19% of the sample).

40% of partnered adults say they are bothered by the amount of time their partner spends on their cellphone
Chart shows four-in-ten partnered Americans say they are at least sometimes bothered by how much time their partner spends on their cellphone
At the time of the survey, four-in-ten Americans who are married, living with a partner or who are in a committed relationship say they are often or sometimes bothered by the amount of time their partner spends on their cellphone, including 12% who say they feel this way often.1

In addition, 24% of partnered Americans report that they are at least sometimes bothered by the amount of time their partner spends on social media, while a somewhat smaller share (15%) say they feel this way about their partner playing video games.

Chart shows women are about twice as likely as men to say they are often bothered by the amount of time their partner spends on their cellphone
There are certain groups who are more likely to express annoyance over their partner’s digital activities than others. Among partnered adults, women are more likely than men to say they are often bothered by the amount of time their partner spends on their cellphone (16% vs. 8%) or playing video games (7% vs. 3%).2

Beyond gender differences, people’s attitudes also vary by age. Some 18% of partnered adults ages 18 to 49 say they are often bothered by the amount of time their partner spends on their phone, compared with 6% of those ages 50 and older. Younger adults in romantic relationships also are more likely than their older counterparts to say they are often bothered by the amount of time their partner spends on social media (11% vs. 4%) and playing video games (7% vs. 3%).

Roughly half of partnered people say their significant other is distracted by their phone at least sometimes when they try to talk to them
Chart shows about half of Americans in a relationship say their partner is distracted by their phone when they are trying to talk to them
While relatively few Americans are familiar with the term “phubbing” – which is the practice of snubbing others in favor of their cellphones – notable shares say they have encountered that behavior in their romantic relationships.

When asked to reflect on their partner’s cellphone use, 51% of Americans in a romantic relationship say their partner is at least sometimes distracted by their cellphone when they are trying to have a conversation with them, including 16% who say their significant other is often distracted by their mobile device.

This pattern differs by age: Roughly six-in-ten partnered adults ages 30 to 49 say their significant other is at least sometimes distracted by their cellphone when they are trying to hold a conversation with them, compared with 52% of those ages 18 to 29 and even smaller shares for those ages 50 and older (41%). Among those in relationships, younger adults also are more likely than older adults to assert that their partner is often distracted by their phone when they are trying to have a discussion (20% vs. 10%).

Women who are in a relationship are more likely than men to say their partner is often distracted by their phone while they are trying to hold a conversation, but this gender difference is most pronounced among younger adults. Three-in-ten partnered women ages 18 to 29 say their significant other is often distracted by their phone while they are trying to hold a conversation, compared with 15% of men in this age group who say this.

About one-in-three partnered adults say they have looked through their current spouse or partner’s phone without their knowledge, but there’s strong public consensus this is unacceptable

triiola
08-16-2021, 07:48 PM
I cannot but admit that all my recent acquaintances were made online recently. And there are different sites for different purposes. If I need some romance, I go to https://doublist.site/what-site-is-like-doublelist. If I need some news, I mainly use Facebook. And all my shopping is primarily done via Instagram. I practically learn everything through Internet today.

DupeDupex
10-07-2021, 07:27 AM
I'm not sure that the statistics are right, though. I believe that both men and women can be distracted by social media equally. It's unreasonable to say that men are more likely to use phones around their partners. Besides, not to mention the fact that not everybody uses social media to keep track of their ex's lives. With that being said, I think that any couple that is feeling troubled because their partner spends too much time on social media should be looking for relationship counseling. I mean, I've never dated before, but my sister suggested counsellinginmelbourne.com.au (http://counsellinginmelbourne.com.au/everything-you-need-to-know-about-relationship-counselling) . She told me that when she just got married, she could never look eye to eye on anything with her husband. That was the reason why they went to counseling. And now as I see it, they are living the life of their dreams!

Harttt
10-07-2021, 10:09 AM
The global lockdown due to the COVID-19 pandemic, I found myself boring into boredom and missing sex with a real woman. If you are looking for an adult Dating site (https://shagbook.com), pay attention to proper security protocols and don't tell people on related sites too much information about yourself until you are sure that the girl from the chat is real and is not a scam. My friend got scammed a couple of times, and the girls kept telling him that they had problems with rent/work/transport, and he was sending them his money before the date.

damienlee
10-08-2022, 10:44 AM
Interesting statistics and interesting post, thank you. I used to be a client of Match and match customer service (https://match.pissedconsumer.com/customer-service.html) , and I have to say that I really managed to find a lot of interesting people there, meanwhile I used to be rather skeptical about dating services and online meet-ups in general.